Monday 25 June 2018

Thinking of my mother --- The Humble Sewing-Machine


Thinking of my mother --- The Humble Sewing-Machine


This morning, I was googling for some unusual readings and chance upon this article  “The-singer-sewing-machine-changing-the-world-stitch-by-stitch” that allows me to reminiscent of the past.

A good story makes people to reflect or think.

The Humble Sewing Machine

When I look at the Humble Sewing Machine, it brought back memories of my mother.

She was a cobbler who used the Humble Sewing Machine to make beautiful shoes.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances, we have to move from a carefree kampong lifestyle to restricted HDB apartment.

We have to quickly adapt as we don't have the luxury of space. With limited space, we have to prioritised items to be moved to our new home. Sadly to say that we have to forgo my mother Singer sewing machine and antique marble table that she used to work on.

I managed to salvage one of my mother's cobbling tools which is the hole punching equipment.

Today topics on freelancing, gig, flexiwork environment, work-life balance etc. All these have already happened during my mother lifetime.

She worked from home so that she can look after us. She walked for miles to take the bus to delivers her beautiful completed shoes.

Wow! I can remember because I was a good boy who helped my mom to carry her completed beautifully made shoes to the shophouse in Gay World near Geylang and having to bring new materials home for the next order.

Regarding our kampong attap house...that will be another story for another day.

Although God brought her back to his side when I was just 14 years old,  I still think of her on how she made a living with the Humble Sewing Machine.

This week, I am devoting the next 5 days from Monday to Friday using the Haiku Japanese poem to share my thought of the Humble Sewing Machine.

Haiku is a Japanese poem consists of three lines, with the first and last lines having 5 syllables, and the middle line having 7.

The Humble Sewing Machine was invented in 1846, since then it gives hope & change the life of mothers & daughters all over the world and also impact on the garment manufacturing world & the fashion culture.

The Humble Sewing-Machine evolves through the years from a single sewing machine to automation factories around the world.

BUT, it will soon be replaced by “SewBots” - A sewing robot machine.

So stay tuned to Haiku poem: The "S" of FSY from today to Friday

Intro
Haiku poem:
The “S” in FSY is Sewing-Machine
Five days devote to (5)
The Humble Sewing-Machine (7)
Monday to Friday (5)


Monday
Haiku poem:
The “S” in FSY is Sewing-Machine
My Mother Cobbler (5)
The Humble Sewing-Machine (7)
She made a living (5)


Tuesday
Haiku poem:
The “S” in FSY is Sewing-Machine
From Needle Women (5)
Invented Sewing Machine (7)
Benefit Women (5)
Wednesday
Haiku poem:
The “S” in FSY is Sewing-Machine
Sewing done by hands (5)
Sewbot replace Sew-Machine (7)

No more hands needed (5)

Thursday
Haiku poem:
The “S” in FSY is Sewing-Machine
I still skeptical (5)
Sewbot to Sewing Machine (7)
But it will happen (5)


Friday
Haiku poem:
The “S” in FSY is Sewing-Machine
Sewbot human thread (5)
The automation kills jobs (7)
Needle lady skills gone (5)

Stay tuned on my FaceBook….
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.foo.566

or

Blog:fsyqualipreneur
http://fsyqualipreneur.blogspot.com/

or

Instagram: #fsyqualipreneur


Thank for reading
I hit 500 words, as mentioned I try to practice writing short stories around 500 words.


By the way, I write for myself to keep in my blog for my grandchildren but if the story helps you, please share it around. As always, thank you 

No comments:

Post a Comment