Tuesday 4 December 2018

An Old Tradition Hard To Change


An Old Tradition Hard To Change

This is actually not a new practice at all.

It has been a decades-old tradition in the container depot everywhere!

When I first got my Class 5 driving license 40 years ago, all I wanted is to be a truck driver.

I have always imagined myself sitting in this huge monster driver seat prowling down the road with command.

I used to have classes 2,3,4,5 driving licenses.

After a serious accident that landed me in the hospital sickbay for 20+ days, I decided to cancel my class 2 license.

I passed both the class 4 & 5 in only one test because I was an army 3 tonner driver!

Eventually, I joined an import & export company following trucks in & out of PSA.

Speed win for a day trip in the container depot and "kopi" money is a must to build relationships! 

It is a culture that I have seen during my apprenticeship and can't be changed. Hence, it is no surprise that this practice is still happening now.

If a Pig can fly, it is still a pig, therefore, the tradition will never change.

$1 might sound meagre to some but we are talking about tons and volume of goods or containers cargo leaving the depot, it adds up!

This "kopi" money is much better than their take-home basic salary!

That might also be the main reason why these port workers don't mind if they are not offered with minimum wages.

I have been there, see it, does it & move on... Adapt & Growth becoming a Regional TQM & HSE Manager.  Now a Retired Regional TQM & HSE Manager & a self-proclaimed  Qualipreneur.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/man-charged-over-1-bribe-attempt-at-container-firm

No comments:

Post a Comment